Global Chief Information Officer & Head of Digital
Bharti Airtel Limited
CIO Award Winner 2018
Insights from the Leadership Award Finalists (2018)
Harmeen Mehta is the Global Chief Information Officer and Head of Digital of Bharti Airtel Limited, and as such is responsible for all of IT and engineering across India, South Asia, and 14 countries in Africa. Ms. Mehta also leads the digitization agenda across Bharti Airtel aimed at building new innovative platforms bringing new monetization opportunities to the company. Given its large scale with over 350 million customers, Airtel runs one of the largest “big data” platforms and greatly leverages machine learning and AI to create a digital brain to power this platform.
Ms. Mehta has over 20 years of experience in technology and has held various leadership positions such as CIO for Global Markets, Risk, and Operations at BBVA; Global Head of Corporate, Investment, and Private Banking IT at HSBC Global Technology Centre; Managing Director at Merrill Lynch India Technology Services across India, Singapore, Ireland, and Canada; and Asia CIO for Global Markets and Research technology at Bank of America Merrill Lynch. Prior to this she worked as a consultant to British Airways and Qantas Airlines. She is a true global citizen, having lived in 11 countries and worked across more than 30 countries across all continents.
Ms. Mehta has been recognized by the Economic Times as among the top 10 women in the telecom and tech industry across the globe. She also is a board member for TM Forum and other startups in India and Silicon Valley. Under her leadership Airtel has won several prestigious awards from ET, TM Forum, DSCI, and IDC.
- 2018 MIT Sloan CIO Symposium: A SearchCIO guide (2018-08-16)
- MIT CIO 2018 videos: Honing a digital leadership strategy (2018-08-14)
- Advanced mapping, voice: Airtel CIO targets cutting-edge tech (2018-06-29)
- Embracing digital transformation: Airtel CIO discusses focus, benefits (2018-06-29)
- Digital transformation project: Drive success with Agile (2018-06-26)
- Embracing digital transformation: Airtel CIO discusses focus, benefits (2018-06-16)
- CIO advice: Disrupting the enterprise innovation strategy model (2018-06-15)
- 2018 MIT Sloan CIO Symposium in photos: A SearchCIO snapshot (2018-06-11)
- CIO playbook: 10 tips for leading IT in the digital era (2018-06-07)
- The Morning Download: CIOs Find Softer Skills Matter in Tsunami of Digital Change (2018-05-25)
- 6 questions with winner of the 2018 MIT Sloan CIO Symposium Leadership Award (2018-05-24)
- CIOs: Digital Business Demands Political Savvy, Soft Skills (2018-05-24)
- MIT Sloan CIO Symposium Announces Winner of the 2018 CIO Leadership Award (2018-05-23)
- Two Executives Among MIT Sloan CIO Leadership Award Finalists (2018-05-02)
- MIT Sloan CIO Symposium Names Leading Chief Information Officers as Finalists for 2018 Leadership Award (2018-04-19)